Friday, September 4, 2009

Why Sushi?




Oops. I forgot I had a blog.

It's been so long since I've last blogged so the the good habit of regular updates is still lost on me. No matter. What's important is I'm updating now with substantial information to blog about! yay!

But before I get into that i guess I should explain who,what,when,where,how this all went down. People have been asking me all sorts of questions about this sudden change and envision some kind of crazy encounter or a twist of fate or clashing destinies.

I assure you, it is nothing that epic.

* WARNING* BIG ASS WALL OF TEXT. Discretion is Advised.

In a sentence, my mom found a chef who was taking students in the Sunday Chinese newspaper. That's it. See I told you! But this is more to this story if you'll continue reading.

If any of you have met my mom or know OF my mom, you know she's batsh*t crazy. I mean I love her to death and I put up with her zaniness but she's not a very normal mom. Those of you who don't know, my mom's been blessed/cursed with a entrepreneur's mind.

My mom's mind spins at 10,000 RPM and is always on the look out for potential business opportunities or ventures. My brother and I always thought she was just easily bored or just fickle. Why couldn't she be like other people's moms who had jobs and stuck with it? Nope. Not mine.

Like a sponge, she absorbs everything she possible can about a business, a product, whatever, and then moves on like a locust. I asked her once why she couldn't just stick with 1 thing and she told me, "Because I have you kids to take care of." What does that even mean? It wasn't until years later that she meant despite her longing to start her own business of any kind, she was first and foremost a mother. She did not believe in hiring a nanny. She did not believe in daycare. She believed a children needed their mother most. I blame my sister.

So, after absorbing all she could, the next step would seriously be "Start a Business" and she couldn't because of us.

Damn I'm going way off topic. Ok back on track.

So in other words, my mom in her 50's pretty much has no chance of accomplishing her dreams so lives vicariously through us now. My mom first proposed the idea of sending me to culinary class in Taiwan taught by a now very popular sushi franchise. It'd be about a month and very expensive (you are pretty much buying the know-how and franchise rights)

I thought, "Ugh, seriously? That's a terrible idea. No" First of all, I had an action packed summer that had a major event at the start and end of every month. 2nd.. SUSHI?? REALLY?

So after aggressively turning down this latest proposal life went on as usual; uneventful. Summer came and ended and my mom asks me if I wanna drive up to Hacienda Heights to check out this sushi chef who's taking students. "Only looking..right?" I said, as i stared her in the face. "Yes. Look only." She replied with a straight face.

So we get there and it's hard to find cuz its in a inconspicious corner nook of a shopping center. First thing I noticed was the state the restaurant was in. It looked like either it was closing down...or renovating. It was the latter. The owners beckon me in and I take a seat. They start questioning me, asking me my opionions on some things and its starting to feel like an interview. I'm not sure I liked that.

The entire time, every 15-20 mins the phone would ring and it would be another prospective student asking questions over the phone. The lady co-owner would say the same thing, "Come on over so we meet in person and talk in detail." After much asking and answering, the chef started going over tuition and schedules, notifying me to get in 10:30 the next morning. I start to panic cause neither my mom or I said anything about agreeing to anything.

Then my mom busts out her check book and I start pooping bricks. Yet, I didn't stop her. She writes him a downpayment to secure a spot in his class because he only accepts 3 or so students at a time. I had a night to sleep on it. Needless to say I gave my mom the stink eye all day because she's always pulling crap like this to lock me in. Just look my ass.

When my siblings heard the news they were stoked and that kind of softened the blow. I spent some time in meditation and prayer to seek some confirmation. But at the same time i felt like there was no real need. It's as if I was meant to do this. It felt so.. right! Everyone's comments on FB really helped put me in a positive mindset too. I'll make something of myself soon enough.

So that's it. This is why I'm hot. This is why. This is why. This is why i'm hot.

JL

2 comments:

  1. nice so is that your training gear?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Typical sushi chef attire. Although if i had a choice it wouldn't look so much like a hospital gown =(

    ReplyDelete