My original intent was to update everyday after class but whenever I get home all I want to do is veg out or play games. Just so we're clear on my original intent, starting today I will force myself to update once a day even if it's just a picture post.
Moving on. A week has already passed and it's one of those "feels like a month" kind of ordeals. From the humble history lessons of "Edomae Style" sushi to popping the heads off live prawn I've feel like the difficulty and speed has ramped up considerably.
So fast, infact, that I feel like I have to try super hard just to keep up in the kitchen. Yes, true. I have no prior training and spent little to no time in the kitchen before in my life. But I just feel like with each passing minute that i'm not understanding or excelling at a specific task, i'm flushing dollar bills into the toilet.
Note: I calculated it's about $160 a day. Geez...
So being the emo guy I am, i'm effortlessly nitpicking and stressing out over something I've never done before. On hand it's a good motivator to try harder yet on another it's making the learning experience miserable. Oh, let's not forget to mention my two other classmates who are like 50 years old ohbasans who've cooked all their lives and can command thier way around a kitchen. The only thing that makes it bearable is the fact my teacher pays more attention to me. Its the little extra bit of guidance that keeps me from getting completely overwhelmed.
Before I go on, it's not all doom and gloom though, I assure you. While it's a frustrating experience it's equally exciting and new. Each day, literally, each and everyday I learn something new and it's awesome for my ADD nature. From basics of how to properly weild a knife, to small tips like using fresh lemon to wash hands to get the stink out ( doesn't really work.. more on this later) my binder has already accumlated 20 some pages of multi colored notes and scribbles!
Ok now that that's out the way, Shifting gears into photo blog mode.
Day 1
Notes
My notes that i can barely read myself. Taste the rainbow!! Notes are trilingual. Japanese, English, Chinese haha. Don't ask. I just copy whats on the blackboard. This is what will get me through the permit exams when the time comes. God help me >.< 
Tempered Steel
The all-important tools of my trade. I haven't gotten my own set yet (sensei said we'd go down to the fish market to pick one out next week). These buggers are sharp. I've cut my own thumb, just a graze, and have split skin and sometimes drew blood without even realizing it. I'll be spending quite a bit on a set of good knives.
THE BOARD
Other than the white board, this is the most commonly referenced board in the room. I've only learned how to make 5 of the items in that picture. I have a long, long way to go.
This Guy
^ the man responsible for making your sushi. Please direct all complaints to him.
Schooled
Getting some pointers on how to stop rolling like a n00b after repeatedly FAILING on Cali rolls.
This is Yuki-san. Not my teacher but the co-owner of the restaurant. She acts as the occasional interpreter for my Sensei when he can't explain well enough in his broken engrish.
Results
After some pointers and much practice, the rolls are starting to look somewhat "sell-able". My mess is on the left. Teachers is on the right. Sigh
End of the longest day
After a long first day, I finally have something to show for it. Posing with my roll with my mentors.
Day 2

With a Vengeance
I haven't been this eager to wake up in the morning for a while. It felt good having a reason to wake up. Despite the horrid traffic on the 60 I went to work in a chipper mood. Slammed out this many rolls in a sitting (standing?) LIKE A BOSS.
'
With a Vengeance
I haven't been this eager to wake up in the morning for a while. It felt good having a reason to wake up. Despite the horrid traffic on the 60 I went to work in a chipper mood. Slammed out this many rolls in a sitting (standing?) LIKE A BOSS.
Dragon Roll Z
Today we did a variation(and more $) of the humble California Roll. Thats cut unagi being placed in a toaster to heat it up and unlock its savory smell.The unagi gave me a lot of trouble. I'm not the most delicate feller so handling that big o knife and cutting thin, even slices of eel pwnd me. Discouraged.

Master at Work
My sensei (will refer to him as Akio-san from now on) demonstrates how a proper Dragon Roll is arranged. I used to hate eel cuz of the funky bones in each bite but on a CA roll with the fresh avacado actually helps me forget.

Pre-re-rolled
All the toppings now placed, it's ready to be rolled again to give it a flush shape. You guys hungry yet?

Where to cut??
A question that boggled me to no end. Assuming you're doing a 6 or 8 cut, do you give one peice all unagi? All avacado? Bit of both? Either way it was a nightmare to cut because stuff was sliding all over the place. Stupid avacado..

A Little Decor...
Goes a long way. From what was just a few extra pieces of vegetable and some sea snake thingy, by adding a little bit of this, a little squiggly of that, suddenly I can charge $10.00 for a plate. Man, if that isn't a handsome plate of food though right?

Burn, baby Burn
On my way to the parking lot to go home I see this in the distance. Scary.
OK. Thats enough for now. The other pictures require their own post with story. Look foward to it!! Thanks for reading =)
JL
Today we did a variation(and more $) of the humble California Roll. Thats cut unagi being placed in a toaster to heat it up and unlock its savory smell.The unagi gave me a lot of trouble. I'm not the most delicate feller so handling that big o knife and cutting thin, even slices of eel pwnd me. Discouraged.
Master at Work
My sensei (will refer to him as Akio-san from now on) demonstrates how a proper Dragon Roll is arranged. I used to hate eel cuz of the funky bones in each bite but on a CA roll with the fresh avacado actually helps me forget.
Pre-re-rolled
All the toppings now placed, it's ready to be rolled again to give it a flush shape. You guys hungry yet?
Where to cut??
A question that boggled me to no end. Assuming you're doing a 6 or 8 cut, do you give one peice all unagi? All avacado? Bit of both? Either way it was a nightmare to cut because stuff was sliding all over the place. Stupid avacado..
A Little Decor...
Goes a long way. From what was just a few extra pieces of vegetable and some sea snake thingy, by adding a little bit of this, a little squiggly of that, suddenly I can charge $10.00 for a plate. Man, if that isn't a handsome plate of food though right?
Burn, baby Burn
On my way to the parking lot to go home I see this in the distance. Scary.
OK. Thats enough for now. The other pictures require their own post with story. Look foward to it!! Thanks for reading =)
JL

Wow that look so cool and yummy!
ReplyDeletei know! dragon roll z hahahhaha =)
ReplyDelete